Monday, January 23, 2012

Huitrerie Regis


I think every couple has a thing, right? Something that you bond over, that is something you seek out. For some it's a sports team or a favorite vacation spot. For my boyfriend and me it's oysters. I first really fell in love with oysters in Australia. They were fresh, briny and life changing. Although my boyfriend was hesitant to try them at first, he braved his first raw oyster when we were in Martha's Vineyard this summer, and has been hooked ever since. Since then it's been our go-to date when we want something special and "us."


One of my Christmas gifts to him this year was to take him to an oyster dinner in Paris on our trip. Oysters are in season in the winter in Paris, so it seemed like it was fate. My choice of restaurant was the amazing Huitrerie Regis, commonly agreed to be the best place for oysters in all of Paris.

It was divine. The restaurant is tiny--perhaps 6 tables total. There's barely any waiting room so the waitress instructed us to go have a glass of wine across the street, and she'd come get us when a table opened up. It was worth ever second of the wait. We ordered two dozen oysters and a cheese plate along with some sancerre, which is the wine that pairs best with oysters. Everything was perfection. The oysters, served on a bed of ice and seaweed were perfectly chilly & tasted like the sea. The restaurant is tiny, but intimate. We were the only non native French people there, which made my little heart flutter with happiness. At times I'd look up, and everyone would be stealing glances at each other as if to say, "Are you loving this as much as I am? Isn't this amazing?"

It was one of those meals where I couldn't stop smiling throughout. It's something I'll think back fondly on for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment