Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Woman Who Has Everything

One of my longtime standing jokes with my mom is that she's just inches away from being featured on an episode of Hoarders. The woman collects *everything*. When we are bored, after my nephew has gone to bed, we sometimes watch the show together, gaping in horror. "I'd just tranquilize you for a few days, and throw everything away," I tell her reassuringly. She points out that it is probably a good thing I didn't actually go to med school. So with Mother's Day swiftly approaching, I find myself in the position I am in every year-what to get the woman who has everything. Adding to the challenge is that my mom's 60th birthday is May 24th, so I have to double up on presents in a relatively short amount of time. Luckily, I've had her birthday gift planned out for quite some time now, so this just leaves Mother's Day. I'm big on experiences rather than a gift that gets lost in a closet. These are a few of the ideas that I'm contemplating.

Stand Up Paddle Boarding

Image via Risurfrider I think this would be hysterically fun to do with my mom. The possibilities for making fools of ourselves are endless, but it could end up being really fun & a good adventure. There are a bunch of places near the Florida house that offer half day lessons like the Sarasota Paddleboard Company.

Beach Horses One of my fellow contestants from last summer's Backyard Gems contest submitted an entry about Sarasota, Florida, and I was intrigued by many of her suggestions--especially horseback riding on the beach. That just seems like the perfect gift to give someone, doesn't it? I think a Beach Horses adventure might be just the thing for Barb.

Dolphin Watch

If our plans are a bit more family friendly that day, then I might lean more towards a dolphin watch. My little nephew is obsessed with dolphins at the moment, so this would be the perfect family friendly adventure for all of us to do to celebrate the day with my mom. Plus, the Hubbard's Marina watch includes free wine and beer, so that is definitely an adults-only perk.

I head down to Florida in just about 10 days, I cannot wait!

1 comment:

  1. You'd think my vote would be predictable but I'm torn! I love horses! I love dolphins! I think paddle boarding looks like a blast!

    ReplyDelete