Friday, June 15, 2012

Happy Father's Day

Father's Day is usually a day that goes unnoticed by me. However, this year I do have a stepfather. This got me thinking about the day, and how lucky I am to have some really amazing father figures in my life.

I'm lucky to have an amazing and funny grandfather who is always full of tricks and is endlessly kind. Plus, he can play the harmonica and I recently learned that he's a stellar singer. When he was a school boy he was always called on to sing at events. Can you believe in 31 years I never knew that?

And then I'm lucky enough to have my Fred, a family friend that I've known forever. When I refer to him, I usually just tell people that he's my adopted father because he truly is the father I never had. Having him in Atlanta while I was at Emory was a wonderful treat when I felt homesick. When I was little, he'd take me to Friendly's for milkshakes and dorky conversations about sci-fi books. On the way home, we'd blast Billy Joel tapes. I can't hear River of Dreams without thinking of Fred.

And of course, there's my stepfather, who puts up with all of my family's insanity and remains endlessly calm through all of it. I'm so excited he and my mom found each other, and that he never really seems to mind the fact that I will install myself into their Florida house for weeks at a time.

I'm a very lucky girl to have all three of these guys in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment