Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Bits of Beauty


I had a pretty bad day yesterday. I was walking down Nevsky Prospect (the main street of Saint Petersburg) when I saw the dead body of an old man on the side of the sidewalk. People and officials were milling around trying to figure out what to do with him. I walked away quickly. When I got a few blocks away I came across a man with no legs using a board on four little wheels & a broomstick to get around. I decided I had had quite enough of Russia for the day and hid in my room for the rest of the night.

Today I went over to Peter & Paul Fortress which is always a weird experience for me, but I got to see a bit of beauty today that stemmed my descent into Russia-inspired agoraphobia for the time being.

That's Russia, I guess. This combination of images that horror you combined with beauty that you cannot forget.


No comments:

Post a Comment