Monday, March 5, 2012

A Family Affair


The love of cooking is something that I've inherited from my mom's side of the family. My grandparents have owned and been involved in the restaurant world their entire lives, and family dinner on Sunday afternoons is one of my favorite childhood memories.

One of my favorite grown up activities is cooking with my mom. We find some brand new recipes we want to try, and make a night of it. We typically try to find something out of our comfort zone in the kitchen, and it becomes a challenge that we nearly always master. For New Year's Eve, we went to town in the kitchen. It was my mom's and stepfather's last New Year's Eve in New Jersey so we prepared a massive feast: shrimp cocktail, gruyere and rosemary popovers, a surf-n-turf that involved garlic stuffed prime rib served with lobsters, and finally raspberry panna cotta with a dark chocolate sauce.

While it wasn't the crazy New Year's Eves that I've had for the past few years of Miami, New York and Australia, it was still definitely one of my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment