Monday, March 19, 2012

A Mixed Weekend


This was a weekend that combined the perfect means of relaxing, and absolutely chaos. The weather has been shockingly beautiful. Even the dreaded two day thunderstorms that were promised this weekend managed to disappear. This meant a few days of walks with the dog, beers in mason jars on the porch, and enjoying a bottle of sparkling rose with my boyfriend and his son (who did not drink rose, of course).*

The chaos came in the form of the 3rd Annual UVA Slavic Conference. Despite having presented at several conferences, I still dread them. I am terrified of public speaking, and even though 5 years of teaching has done a lot to dial back that fear, presenting at conferences is still my nemesis.

Luckily, I was able to put my (crushing) fear aside long enough to enjoy the conference, and to get over myself. I had some of my colleagues from out of town stay with me for the conference, including a classmate from my undergrad years. It's surreal to think we're both still pursuing something that grabbed us at such a young age. The evening ended with a Saint Patrick's Day dinner with friends. My boyfriend and I cooked the corned beef, and they brought the black & tans. All in all, a great weekend.



*I can tell when I've been visiting a winery too much when the pourer asks me how classes were that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment