Tuesday, March 20, 2012

New York


I grew up right outside of New York City. As a child, weekends meant trips into the city to see Broadway musicals, and visits to the Museum of Natural History to "feed the dinosaurs." I saw almost every major musical of the 80's before I was 10 years old. Christmases meant trips to see the Rockettes and a special toy at FAO Schwartz from my grandparents.

As is true for most things in my childhood, I didn't really appreciate how rare it was to basically have New York as your giant playground. Now as an adult, I relish these trips back. I love visiting the favorite places of my childhood, and discovering new ones.

For my birthday, my boyfriend took me to New York City for two days. We spend the time wandering around the city, and he allowed me to drag him to some of my favorite places both old and new. Browsing books at the pop up stands from The Strand, visiting The Frick, one of my favorite museums anywhere, and taking advantage of the weirdly warm weather with a trip to the Central Park Zoo.


And the food. We spent as much time eating as we did walking. We had to get macarons from Laduree's New York shop, and we ate meals at some of my favorite places like Thalia's and Tolache.

Like all trips, it went by way too quickly. I'm already planning our trip back.

No comments:

Post a Comment