Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Three Ways


Sitting here in New Jersey for my Spring Break, I realized I never had the chance to write about how I spent New Year's Day. On New Year's Day, I got the chance to celebrate the same event in 3 very unique ways.


The big New Year's Day event in Philadelphia, is the Mummer's Parade. If you ever want to see grown (and drunk) men prance around Philadelphia in outfits that seem more fit for Mardi Gras, this is the day to do it.

The day started out at the Union League with my boyfriend and his family. The beautiful building was turned into a gigantic buffet and perfect viewing spot for the parade. We drank mimosas and helped ourselves to the gigantic dessert table way too many times.


Afterwards, we headed down Broad Street to meet my family at my stepfather's former firehouse. Here we were at the heart of the parade. The barrier between the crowd and the parade blurred, and everyone rushed to take pictures with the performers. As majestic as the Union League was, the parade at the firehouse was chaotic and wild.



As the sun began to set, and the official parts of the parade ended, we head to South Philly to be with my stepfather's family to celebrate the New Year. His family's house is at the heart of the after party for the parade. Loud? Oh yes. Completely hectic? Absolutely. A great time? Definitely.



All in all it was a wonderful, whirlwind of a day, and I think a pretty good indication of how my year has gone so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment